July 31, 2013

Toutle and Mt. St Helens

 The last place we visited was Toutle Washington.
 So my Dad lived in Toutle Washington from the time he was born, until he went on his mission.  I always love going back there and hearing all his stories and reliving his memories.  Another reason I feel especially fond of visiting there is my Grandpa.  

My Dad's dad was Samuel Gann.  He was a Scoutmaster at 23 and continued the rest of his life.  He and my Grandma helped build the house my Dad grew up in.  They had four kids, 3 boys and a girl.  My Grandpa Sam also had a heart condition.  He died as the result of a complication during a routine heart surgery.  My Dad was 14.  
I as many daughters have a special place in my heart for my Dad.  He was my first Hero.  I know that he would do anything for me, and is always showing me the many ways he loves me.  Well my Dad missed out on some of that as a result of his Dad's early death.  I have always felt sad for that, but also been so excited to meet and talk to my Grandpa someday.  If he's anything like my Dad, he must be amazing :)  I LOVE being able to walk the ground that my Grandpa ACTUALLY walked on, and seeing the places that he loved. 


 This is a big fireplace in a bowery at Seaquest Park just outside of Toutle.  Before Seaquest was made a State Park, my Grandpa and his Boy Scout troop would do service projects and help with anything that needed to be done.  He helped with the stonework on this fireplace.  Here's my Dad in front on it.  (He probably felt silly standing here for the picture, but again did what I asked 'cause he loves me :)


 The trees were so beautiful! 
 
 My Dad remembers this large log being here when he was a boy.  My grandma had a plaque put up in honor of my Grandpa Sam at the Park a few years ago.  When entering the park on this trip we were informed that they had been told they couldn't display it anymore.  But they still had it, and gave it to us, so that was nice :) Unfortunately they widened the freeway where my Dad's house was, and so it is not standing anymore.  A very sad loss, but good thing he has the memories still. 











Yep, the Fighting Ducks!  Seriously the best Mascot EVER!  Thankfully someone was at the school, and let us walk around and see the old digs.  My Dad went K-12th grade in the same small set of buildings.  It's pretty neat to see the small town way.  They still have pictures of all the graduating classes in the cafeteria!  I always feel like my Dad is a Superstar when we visit there. (Well he pretty much is anyway ;)  Can you spot the handsome Devil?

Yep, here he is!


Here's another one.  Still in the trophy case at the school on display.

Number 24 himself! 

We went and visited Mt St Helen since it is right close to Toutle.  My Dad was actually supposed to be up Logging in the area of the blast, the day of the explosion.  Luckily they had just walked out on the job due to a wage dispute the DAY before.  Thank goodness he did!  It is a fascinating story, you should ask him about it sometime.  A very interesting exhibit to see and visit.  It is unbelievable what happened, and how things have changed since the fateful eruption in 1980.  So cool how life keeps going and growing. 





We cleaned around Grandpa's grave and put the dried flowers there.  I think it looks pretty great :)  I think part of the reason I feel so connected to Grandpa Sam even though I've never met him is because of Justin.  Growing up with 3 brothers and a Mom and Dad serving in Scouts, I knew and appreciated the Boy Scouts of America and it's program.  But I didn't LOVE it.  Marrying Justin and becoming part of the Scouts by working up at Camp Loll I learned to love scouting.  Not just because of all the "little brothers" I have gained over the years, but for what scouting can and does teach.  I believe that Scouting can and IS life changing when the program is run correctly.  I love the saying on his headstone.  BE PREPARED.  Ever a Scout he was and is.  I know he'll love Justin when they meet, and I'm grateful that I have always FELT his love from heaven.  Especially singing Scout songs on the stage at Camp Loll under the stars...

 His father is also buried there.
 This is the view from their graves.  I've always thought it was a beautiful view.  This is Silver Lake. 
We decided to spend our last night in the area at a Campground where my Dad was having a All Years class reunion the next day.  It was a fun night sitting around the fire and hearing all of Dad's stories confirmed by his classmates.  They really did have some adventures :)
Dad and the other 5 classmates from his graduating class!  


This trip was seriously so much fun!  I loved spending time with my favorite people and we saw and experienced all I wanted to and more.  Thanks Mom and Dad!  

No comments:

Post a Comment